Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Billy


The first time I saw him he was breaking into a locked dumpster at the Methadone clinic to drink the last few drops of medicine because he couldn’t afford anymore heroine. I walked closer to him and he begged me not to call the cops. I sat down behind the dumpster and listened to Billy’s story. He told me that he was 51 years old and he has been addicted to drugs and alcohol since he was 16 years old. I listened and tried to encourage my tired friend. He was sick of being addicted and he promised me that he was going to get clean….I didn’t believe him.So fast-forward 3 months. I’m in the public Library downtown and I hear this man yelling my name and walking towards me. I got nervous. It was Billy. He looked so much better than the times I had seen him in the dumpster. He proceeded to tell me that God had sent him angels to help him get clean and the I was one of them. I was confused. Someone scholar shipped Billy $12,000 to go to a really nice re-hab clinic and Billy has been clean and sober for over 90 days. Billy told me that he hasn’t been clean that long in 35 years. He thanks me for not calling the cops on him and listening to him instead. Billy is a new man. I thank you God that you make us all new!!!!I praise you for sending Billy as my angel to remind me of your incredible power and love.
God is Good,
Nate

5 comments:

TheWParK said...

Nate-dawg!!
What an amazing story of the redemptive work of Christ. What a beautiful picture of ressurection as we approach Lent and Easter.
Thanks

fitz dudley. said...

God is good...and thank your for being open to Him and seeing people through His eyes!

Courtney Chercka said...

rock on, n8!

Courtney Chercka said...

and jesus!

Anonymous said...

Wow Nate! That is so great! Tell Kim Hi and that I am praying for her (and you) in these last couple of weeks!!! What a wonderful story about Billy!!! Love, Dorothy